The sport’s governing body, the FIA, is investigating whether Formula 1’s commercial arm has engaged in improper business dealings.
In a statement released on Friday, the F1 Group said it would be reviewing the findings of its inquiry.FIA president Jean Todt has said the organisation would not be able to investigate or intervene in the business of the teams and their drivers unless it receives evidence of a “pattern of conduct” that could constitute an “abuse of process” by the FIA.
F1 has been engulfed by controversy in recent weeks over the conduct of the governing body and the involvement of its commercial arm.
The FIA said it has “received and will investigate” the claims.
“The FIA is committed to ensuring that the sport is run in accordance with the highest standards of ethics and is taking appropriate steps to protect the integrity of the sport,” it said.
“As a consequence, it has taken no action and will not undertake any action.”
The FIA has also launched a “rescue operation” to identify and investigate all of the team’s competitors in order to ensure they have not committed “any crime”.
“This will help the FIA and the drivers understand what is happening and how they can support each other to restore confidence and trust in the sport and the sport itself,” the statement said.
Last week, the sport released a list of 10 potential “bounty targets” for the teams to “win” in the event of the latest investigation.
The list included the names of seven of the drivers, five of the manufacturers and two of the engine suppliers, which was also revealed to be the list of “favourite” teams.
The BBC’s John Phelan said there had been a “huge amount of finger-pointing” over the past few weeks and that the teams were not going to give up.
“It is not about the teams,” he said.
“It is about the integrity and credibility of the organisation.”
And if the integrity is compromised, the integrity cannot be upheld.
“The list of the potential targets for the “favorites” was compiled after a survey conducted by the FTSC found that there was widespread “misinformation” about how many points each team was expected to earn and the chances of winning the championship.
The FTSCs chief executive, Oliver Turvey, said the results of the survey were “not based on anything but pure speculation and innuendo” and suggested that some of the “bundles” of points had been given away to the teams before they were awarded.”
I am not sure how this was done, but we can’t afford to be in that position again,” Turvey said.FTSC chairman Richard Branson, who is also the chairman of Formula 1, said he was “very disturbed” by “the behaviour” of the FCA.”
This is the first time I have heard anything like this.
This is the biggest scandal in sport’s history,” Branson said.
The British Formula 1 Association said it was “troubled” by reports of a deal with the FMC to reward teams for finishing top of their constructors’ standings.”
F1 needs to get back to work on what it is and who it is,” F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone said.
A spokesperson for the FIA said: “The FIA will not comment on ongoing investigations, but is committed, as we have always been, to being transparent and transparent-minded.”
We are committed to the sport in which we all play and to being a world leader in delivering the best possible sport to our fans, to all those around the world who watch, and to the millions of people who are fans.”
In addition, the teams will continue to work with the FIA to ensure that all the issues and concerns raised in this matter are addressed and addressed promptly.